Search This Blog

Another year, another same old routine....

I just came back from my annual IPT training (the 2nd session only) and I just realised I have never really write about my views and thoughts on the NS (short for National Service) in my blog before.


After my BMT (Basic Military Training) I am actually posted to be in the 30 SCE Combat Engineer (Shiong shiong unit) but luckily I keng (cheat) my way out during my training and became a service clerk.. hehehe.. I'm just too fat and lazy to carry heavy loads up and down and run here and there.. :P


I then deferred and completed my Bachelor degree before I got enlisted back again to clear my remaining 6 months of liability.  A total of 3 years and 4 months wasted in my youth.  Why 3 years and 4 months and not the usual 2 and a half?


That's because of the waiting time I received whenever I graudated.  I waited for 5 months to get enlisted when I graduated from Poly.  And another 5 months when I graduated from my University.  So a grand total of 3 years and 4 months wasted in my prime youth. 


This is one of the main reason why I hated NS life. Wasting my time.  Another aspect that I hate is being stuck  in a regimental environment.  Politics are everywhere and the worst part is that you can't escape as you will be stuck in your unit until you are discharged from your service.  In the real world, you could just throw a letter of resignation and just leave, in NS... well....


So yes, I hated NS.  Almost every minute of it.  Now they reduced it to 2 years but if the waiting time to get enlisted is the same then its also 2 and a half year or more.  So now our dear Gahment wants to compensate us by handling out $9k SGD for the NSmen.... I'm not sure if I will get it (most probably not the full sum) but I heard its only entitled to those who are still in the system.. So to those brothers who R.O.D (Run Out Date) already.  Really feel sorry for you guys if you are not  getting the pie... At least something is better then bloody nothing...


 


1 comment:

HH said...

This is the gahment way of telling you you are worthless to them after the USE BY DATE.
Remember they suggested building retirment village on some off shore island a few year ago?
Our Gahmen policy is we welcome you as long as your can pay your tax, some China Man, Pinoy all come come. When you old no matter which countries you are born in, better die fast before your CPF finished else the gahment have to take care of you.